Friday, August 6, 2010

The Saga of Casa Cuna

Part One: the joys of working at Casa Cuna

I have never spent a whole lot of time with children or made plans to have kids myself. Despite this I learnt at Casa Cuna that hanging out with kids was a whole lot of fun. As I developed a relationship with the orphans, or "abandonados de niƱos" as they are sometimes called, the smell of urine and household cleaner that greeted me when I entered Casa Cuna became the smell of play and laughter.

From my experience the kids were all friends. They got along really well. Yeah they cried but only when they fell over or took each other’s toys (e.g. normal kid stuff). A couple of them were more frangible than others but overall my perception of the children was that they were very happy. And really cute.

Ahhhh Pancho. I will never forget my first day walking upstairs and seeing you with the bathroom - door wide open - and barely balanced on the toilet bowl rim. You had gargantuan, limpid eyes and were making the most astonishing noises. How can someone be so little and create such profoundly violent flatulence? At the time I couldn’t believe it was you!

Part Two: how it functioned

Casa Cuna was founded by Doctor Maria Ferrera but the orphanage was managed fulltime (24 hours) by shifts of two teams of two nurses and during the day with Virginia (the coordinator) and her son Israel and daughters Maria and Ruth. In addition to the people there was Israel’s cat Chulo who was also an orphan found in the street. The nurses worked on rotating 24 hours shifts which would alternate 3 and 4 days per week between the two teams. Virginia worked 09:00-17:00 Monday-Saturday. I describe Virginia as strict but compassionate and the nurses as efficient and well humoured. These things together created a family atmosphere in Casa Cuna.


In terms of funding, up until the end of 2009, Casa Cuna was supported by Millennium. Unfortunately the money dried up in the States and things began to get tough at the orphanage. Amizade (a global NGO that has an office in Cochabamba) made an appeal to get more funds and wrote about it here and here. Despite this set back, while I was there, things looked good. The kids were well looked after and they got good food (they were eating a lot of vegetables, uncommon for a lot of Bolivian children). They also got a lot of attention and structure in their day.

Those of age were bundled into a car and taken to Tiquipaya for school Monday to Friday. The kids were aged one through to seven. I was told that at the age of eight they would be moved to another place, perhaps another orphanage, where they stay until they are about 16 or 17. Frustratingly no one knew where (or wanted to tell me) where this “other place” was or what it was called.

I believe that Casa Cuna got a lot of mileage out of what they had. For example, they washed/scrubbed the dirty old ripped mattresses and hanging them out to try frequently. This shows, in my opinion, their desire for hygiene as well as caring for what they have despite the destitution.

Part Three: what happened next

So what happened?

Well in a nutshell social workers form the government (Sedeges) turned up and inspected the place. The social workers were solemn bunch but everyone from Casa Cuna seemed totally relaxed an unstressed in their presence. I should note that at one point in the day Virginia asked me to not say anything bad about the orphanage. Obviously this struck me as odd. Why would I? Suspicious? Yes.

The assessment was completed and a week later there were no more kids.

I was told initially that they would be back in fifteen days. In the meantime we set about working on the house; painting, gardening, spring cleaning. I felt that it had been implied that the kids had gone on a holiday and that this was all totally normal. Then the fifteen days elapsed, then twenty and then thirty. Still no kids.

On the day I decided to call-it-quits they spilled the beans and told me that the kids had been taken away by the government due to the results of their psychological assessments and signs of abuse to the children. They also told me that they were going through the courts to defend these allegations. I have found this article which I believe is about them. In my opinion the article is "light" and quite ambiguous.

Through information acquired by a friend here in Cochabamba we also found out that an assessment had been completed by the same social workers earlier in the year. Allegedly, they had made recommendations that were not acted on by Casa Cuna and as such the kids were removed. The story of the removal sounded pretty horrible. I am not going to go into here. I will state that I never saw any abusive behaviour in my time at Casa Cuna.

Finally, it has been said that Bolivia no longer wants private orphanages. I have nothing to back this up but it does fit in with Evo’s nationalisation project and perhaps this is part of the explanation.

Part Four: goodbye

So the kids never came back, their cat Chulo died and I said goodbye. Perhaps surprisingly, I got a nice farewell and enjoyed hanging out with Virginia and her family, practicing my Spanish. But what occurred here... I will never fully know. I Emailed Amizade to get there side of the story but nothing has come of it so far.

In the last days, the house still smelling of cleaner and a faint aroma of urine, I played PS1 (NFS and Tekken) with Israel and had some amazing food cooked by Virginia. She also gave me these cool, handmade, chocolates. In spite of this it the farewell that did not quite feel right. I never got to say goodbye to the kids. To have formed a relationship with little-people and then to have them taken away... it is a bitter memory to say the least. This was also compounded by the strange approach by Casa Cuna took to talking to me about “what happened” with the removal. In retrospect it is possible that they were in shock, and angry, and as such did not trust anyone. Maybe they thought I contributed to it. Who knows.


Part Five: final contact?

A week after I left Casa Cuna they asked me to come in for a meeting. Virginia did not tell me what it was about.

As I made my way over I got a text message changing the time of the meeting so I returned home. When I returned to Casa Cuna no one was there. I left my Email address and a note in the door. No Emails have been received as of yet.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is pretty intense B. Govt agencies in any country can get pretty iffy (and act super quick if they want) if there is any hint of 'substandard' care.

    Def sounds like an odd situation though... maybe they had been setup to fail? asked to make changes they had no chance to implement.

    However it was cool to hear you enjoyed kicking it with the young'uns!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo B. Como estas?

    Yeah, was interesting writing becuase tiem has passed and I have gotten used to the idea of what happened but then when I was writing about it... yikes! Was very sad.

    ReplyDelete