Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jogging

I am a creature of habit. With the exception of last week - when Sarah and I were sick (again) - I have managed to go for a run almost every day. This is, among other things, an experiment in trying to get addicted to exercising; with the view that I like I like the idea of having all those endorphins in perpetuity. Sarah and Hester have not enjoyed running here in Cruce Taquiña. I believe that relates to their experience of running on the main road. For me it has been more interesting, and due to the reduced traffic, unproblematic running on the back streets.


Over the last week a couple people have said that Cruce Taquiña is a dangerous neighbourhood. I have to say that I have never felt any kind of threat - while running or commuting - from passersby, cars or any other human related traffic. But there is no doubt that this is a poorer neighbourhood so there is obviously going to be some truth in what people have said. Actually, in the last two weeks two Bolivian style Neighbourhood Support signs (hand crafted of course) have turned up all over the back streets where I run (below). Translated they say “If you are caught stealing here your will be eliminated” and “The thief operating in this area will be burned.”



The worst part of running for me is the “dog problem.” Not dissimilar to my K’ara K’ara experience. Well the dogs here* are not all like those in K’ara K’ara but they are a pest. For instance yesterday when I went for a run one dog just joined me and trotted along the road for bit then departed. Kind of cute really. Then on the way back a dog, about the size of a couple of tennis balls, started yapping at me which led to a larger dog emerging from a front lawn and chasing after me and barking followed by several other dogs. Luckily for me most of the especially aggressive dogs are behind security fences.


The most frightening experience in recent times was when I was running down a sealed road. I had run past a dozen dogs already. No problem, nothing to report. Then out of nowhere three dogs sitting placidly on the side of the road launched into attack position, bared their teeth menacingly and then chased after me. Instinct took over and I stopped and feinted toward them which slowed them for a second before they doubled back at me. I had to stop running and do it again. They retreated but continued to terrorise me with barking and snarling. Once I passed I felt some mild shock then started screaming expletives at them in English. A few people on the side of the road turned and cast me a glance. Yeah I’m just fine thanks.


These gringo-type grievances aside I have been running for enough months now to be wary of the environment but feel experienced enough to feel confident about running around Cruce Tequina. With the recent appearance of the Neighbourhood Support signs it is now obvious that the dogs are trained to molest and intimidate people passing by. In this context I accept them as a signifier of protection against a known danger (that I don’t know that much about). These guys are home security systems.


I look forward to not having any insight into this known-unknown danger.



* As a side note I must say I am amazed by all the different breeds of dogs here. It makes me wonder where they all come from and how interbreeding and owner preference has not led to a less types of them about the place. Yesterday I saw a dog that was half dirty dreads and half shaved (I assume the owner ran out of steam hand sheering the little guy). Clearly he was not intended for this environment.

You can view some of these dogs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment